What Is Phlebotomy Training?
Phlebotomy also referred to as venipuncture is the surgical puncture of a vein in order to draw blood from a patient via medical needles Its carried out by a qualified phlebotomist and the blood is then studied by a physician to determine the health of a patient The blood may also be used for another patient in need of a blood transfusion Theory Training includes understanding of the basics of Phlebotomy, Legal aspects of Phlebotomy, Infection control & Health and Safety You will also practice on a mannequin Practical training includes Live Blood Sessions This is the practical part of the training
Who Should Attend
Phlebotomists are specialised clinical support worker & assistant healthcare scientists who collect blood from patients for examination in laboratories the results of which provide valuable information to diagnosing illness
- The course runs over either one or two full days depending on which course selected. Two day courses run over two concurrent weekdays or one weekend.
Start times for all courses are 9.30am (prompt) and finish time is around 5.00pm. Morning and afternoon breaks of around 15 minutes and a lunchtime break of usually 45-60 minutes.
Day 1 is about the theory of phlebotomy.
You will cover
- The roles and legal responsibilities of the phlebotomist
- Health and safety in the phlebotomy working environment
- The importance of gaining informed consent
- How to control the spread of infection
- How to use and apply a tourniquet
- How to deal with a Needle Stick Injury (NSI) The possible complications of venepuncture and how to deal with them
- The anatomy associated with venepuncture
- Selecting an appropriate site for venepuncture
- Day 2: Is devoted to practical work you will cover
- Assembling the needle and the correct techniques to hold the needle
- The entire venipuncture procedure (including patient care before and after the procedure)
- How to use a variety of systems (Evacuated
- Aspiration and Butterfly)
- The day will end with a final practical assessment
- taking you through a real world role-play scenario.
Phlebotomy training is available at training centres UK wide, and on client premises (as required) provided minimum delegate numbers are achieved. Parking, public transport links and refreshments vary from centre to centre and these will be confirmed to you prior to your enrolment on any course.
The Phlebotomy course is accredited by the most recognised certificating body in the UK and supported by certification and credit card sized ID cards produced by XYZ Training Group - one of the UK's largest dedicated Health and Safety training organisations.
Open Courses & Public Events
Our Phlebotomy training public event calendar has more than 20 open course training dates taking place across the UK. Search and book securely online and receive an immediate confirmation together with full joining instructions, your VAT invoice and a receipt of payment. You are also able to make an enquiry and receive our formal quotation. Lowest price guaranteed.
We train in excess of 100,000 delegates per year. For more information, please make your enquiry using the form below. The XYZ Training Group Customer Charter ensures that all enquiries are responded to the same day.
In addition to a comprehensive Phlebotomy open course schedule, training is also available on client premises or at one of our training venues as a private course - provided minimum delegate numbers are achieved. Whatever your requirement, start by completing the form below and we'll send you the full course information and a quotation based on your requirements.
Make A Phlebotomy General Enquiry Here
Complete the form below and we'll send you some training options and / or a quote by return. Please only use this form if you are interested in Phlebotomy courses. For all other enquiries, please use the general contact page, refine your search above or call us on 0844 335 8882.